Tropes are plot devices, characters, images, or themes that are incorporated so frequently in a genre that they’re seen as conventional.
What are the most popular tropes in romance novels?
- Trapped in the blizzard – two people who don’t know each other are forced to spend the night together. I like this one and want to use it in one of my novels soon.
- Fake relationship – one I’ve seen a lot of lately is the guy who needs a fake girlfriend to take to a wedding.
- Enemies to Lovers – Sally Thorne’s “The Hating Game” falls into this category and is a great novel that I highly recommend.
- Friends to Lovers – My novel “Taking Chances” falls under this trope. Paige says that she just wants to be friends with Danny and then she changes her mind.
- He’s actually a secret royal/billionaire – I’m a little tired of this one because it’s been overdone. Who meets a royal in real life anyway?
- Forbidden Love – My novel “Second Chances” falls into this category because Samantha falls in love with her boss. The classic example of this trope is “Romeo and Juliet”.
- Bad boy, good girl – My latest novel “Catching Cash’s Heart” is all about the bad boy who falls for the good girl.
- Opposites attract – The novel I’m currently working on, “Stealing Alan’s Heart” is a classic opposites attract story. The super model falls for the nerdy data analyst. Coming in April!
The list can go on and on! What’s your favorite?